Friday, March 11, 2011

UPDATE: Phillies, Manuel agree on new contract (With Video)

Manuel has signed a two-year extension with the Phillies, Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced Thursday. Manuel's contract was set to expire after the upcoming season.

“We are pleased to have come to terms with Charlie,” said Amaro. “He has been an integral part of the success we’ve had over the past several years. There was little doubt that he was going to continue to be our skipper past his current contract and we look forward to the next three years with the hopes of continued success.”

Since taking over for Larry Bowa in 2005, Manuel has won 88 or more games in five of his six seasons and has never guided the Phillies to a losing record. With 544 wins with the Phillies, he ranks fourth in franchise history.

Manuel has led the Phils to four straight division titles, two NL pennants and is one of two managers in franchise history, along with Dallas Green, to guide the team to a World Series title.

Details of the deal weren't released, but the two-year extension is reportedly worth between $7 and $8 million.

“I set the time on the deal because I’ll be 69 years old when the deal runs out and I’ll sit down and I’ll evaluate where I’m at and talk to them and see where they’re at,” Manuel said after Wednesday's game in Lakeland. “I think as long as I stay healthy and things like that, I’m probably going to want to stay in the game. I want to manage as long as I can, and if I’m going to retire, I want to retire myself.”

CLEARWATER, Fla. – Charlie Manuel didn’t want his expiring contract to be an issue when the 2011 season began. He is apparently going to get that wish granted.Continued... 1 2 3 4 See Full Story

View reader comments (2) » Comment on this story »

Following Wednesday’s 5-3 win over the Detroit Tigers, Manuel said he and the Phillies were “close” to a new contract. Manuel was entering the final year of a contract that was extended following the 2007 season.

“We’re close, but that’s not official,” said Manuel, who was then asked if he was confident it would be done by the end of the week. “I think that’s a good chance. We’re close.”

“I’m glad to have it over with because I want to stay focused on what we’re doing. I never thought about doing anything else.”

CSNPhilly.comfirst reported early Wednesday afternoon that an agreement was near. According to that report, Manuel will receive a two-year extension that would pay him between $3.5 and $4 million per season.

Manuel’s annual salary in the last three seasons has been in the neighborhood of $1.5 million to $1.75 million per year. He will earn $2.4 million this season.

When the two sides began negotiating three months ago, Manuel reportedly was looking for a salary in line with his World Series-winning peers. Springfield native and Anaheim Angels manager Mike Scioscia, who also has one World Series ring, will make $4.5 million in the 2011 season.

If the new deal is agreed upon, Manuel will remain in charge throughout the 2013 season, when he will be pushing 70.

“I set the time on the deal because I’ll be 69 years old when the deal runs out and I’ll sit down and I’ll evaluate where I’m at and talk to them and see where they’re at,” Manuel said. “I think as long as I stay healthy and things like that, I’m probably going to want to stay in the game. I want to manage as long as I can, and if I’m going to retire, I want to retire myself.”

Since taking over for Larry Bowa in 2005, Manuel has won 88 or more games in five of his six seasons and has never guided the Phillies to a losing record. With 544 wins with the Phillies, he ranks fourth in franchise history.

Manuel has led the Phils to four straight division titles, two NL pennants and is one of two managers in franchise history, along with Dallas Green, to guide the team to a World Series title.Continued...

View reader comments (2) » Comment on this story »

The uncertainty for when the Phillies can expect Chase Utley to return leads to an obvious question: How will the Phils fill the void?

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Wednesday that the solution is likely already in camp.

“We don’t know exactly when (Utley) is going to be playing for us, but I expect him at some point, hopefully in the early part of the season,” Amaro said. “But right now I think we have the talent here to go with. That’s where we’re at.”

The list of Utley understudies likely begins with utility man Wilson Valdez. Valdez filled in for both Utley and Jimmy Rollins last season, starting 88 games.

“I would think based on what he did for us last year and now in the spring that would be the answer, but that may change,” Amaro said.

While Amaro didn’t sound especially worried, Manuel began to realize Wednesday that beginning the season without Utley means fielding a lineup without his three- and five-hole hitters from 2010.

“From an offensive standpoint, if we lost Utley and (Jayson) Werth, we’ve got to go like hell to find two good players,” Manuel said. “I’m not saying we can’t do it because things work sometimes for you and you’ve still got to go out there and play and can’t make excuses. But we’re talking about two All-Star players.”

Manuel did not go as far as to ask for help via trade.

“I leave that up to the front office as far as those things but usually they’re very good at seeing what we need and trying to help us for the last three or four years, really,” Manuel said.Continued...

View reader comments (2) » Comment on this story »

Manuel said Ben Francisco would be in the starting lineup today against the New York Yankees. Francisco was scratched from Monday’s lineup with a sore neck and did not make Tuesday’s trip to Lakeland … Joe Blanton was credited with the win in the Phillies’ 5-3 victory over the Tigers. Blanton allowed two runs on five hits in five innings. He has a 3.09 ERA after three spring starts … Roy Halladay will make his third start this afternoon at Bright House Field against the Yankees. He’ll pitch opposite New York lefty CC Sabathia in a rematch of what was Halladay’s first start in a Phillies uniform last spring.

Source: http://www.delcotimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment