Friday, November 25, 2011

UFC on FOX 2: Shonie Carter campaigns for spot on Jan. 28 fight card in Chicago - MMAmania.com

Well, the man has certainly paid his dues.

Back in November 2010, Shonie Carter was trying to break into World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). Fast-forward almost a year later and now he's trying to break into Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

Again.

"Mr. International" was one of the contestants on season four of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF); however, "The Comeback" was short-lived thanks to a unanimous decision loss to eventual-winner Matt Serra.

And in spite of his 2-8 record over his last 10 fights, Carter makes a solid argument for competing at UFC on FOX 2 on Jan. 28 at the United Center in Chicago (via The Underground):

I know it has been a while since UFC fans have seen me in the Octagon. I am just asking the Zuffa Org. to do this not just for the fans, but the community of the west side of Chicago. Chicago has been good to me over the years when it come to appreciation. Chicago has the 3rd largest PPV market in the country. The potential revenue from me being on the card has not only a great potential but also it will give a new dream to all of the inner city youth a brighter hope in trying to reach their dreams no matter what they are. I am not asking for an extended contract in doing this. I am asking for just a one fight deal to give hope to those people who struggle everyday walking a lonely path in trying to reach their goal.

After the jump, Carter explains why he's more than just a spinning backfist.

Just for your info on me beyond a spinning back-fist:

--I am the first MMA World champion from Chicago.

--I am the first Black MMA UFC fighter to be in a video game.

--I have championed more belts and titles in various traditional and MMA events than any other fighter from Chicago and most other places.

--I have rededicated myself to just training and re-becoming the martial artist that I once was.

--I am the only one other than adopted "Andrei Arlovski" that has had world champion attached to his name.

--I am an 11 minute bus ride away from the United Center.

--This is the only and last chance for my family to see me fight at home. My father is a cancer survivor and my mom isn't well.

After 84 professional fights and many mixed martial arts "firsts," I'm not sure there would be too many fight fans opposed to his inclusion in the "Windy City" pay-per-view, even if it was a preliminary card match-up.

Unfortunately he's pushing 40 and has struggled to stay competitive on the regional circuit, losing six straight bouts before finally winning a unanimous decision over Landon Showalter just last month.

We'll see how nostalgic UFC President Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva are feeling as we get closer to showtime. Anyone want to argue for -- or against -- a one-and-done return?

Opinions, please.

Source: http://www.mmamania.com

No comments:

Post a Comment