Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Reunion Interview: Malaysia Pargo Minds Her Own Business, But If You Bring Her The Bologna, She’ll Bring Back The Beef

Malaysia Pargo earned a reputation this season on Basketball Wives L.A. for being sweet and non-judgmental despite getting off to a violent start after an altercation with Laura Govan . At the reunion, I spoke to Malaysia and basically fell in love with her immediately. She was soft-spoken but funny, and even more gorgeous in person. We talked a bit about the launch of her Three Beats Jewelry line, which came out on 11/11/11 , which has kept her busy since the end of the show, and then we got into the nitty gritty of the season. Malaysia admits that she regrets fighting with Laura and putting so much trust in Jackie , which is why she spent so much of the season as the odd man out, thinking that no one liked her. Which is why when I asked if she’d ever come back for a season two, her response was a vague “I don’t know.” Read on for more with Malaysia.

First, tell me about the outfit you’re wearing today.

It’s from Gucci, leather with a big bow tie, it’s kind of shabby chic.

How would describe your style?

I’m pretty much all across the board. I dress how I feel, so depending on what the mood is and where I’m going, a lot of my friends say I have Michelle Obama taste and I’m very conservative but still sexy.

Were you happy with how you came off this season and how you were portrayed?

I was very happy with the way they portrayed me because I stayed true to myself. I’m not a very drama-filled person, I avoid it, I roll my eyes a lot, I’m sassy, but I’m a sweetheart. I’m very calm-spirited so I think they got all of that in the show. I always say “I’m not a killer, but don’t push me.” I try to avoid the drama, but if you bring me the bologna I’ll bring back the beef.

How did your relationships with the other women evolve this season? It was hard to tell how you really felt about everybody, you stayed so neutral for so long.

Starting off, I didn’t know any of them and I would say none of them were my friends, I was trying to get to know them but when I felt like I knew a person, they’d show me a reason where I’d realize I didn’t know them after all. I’m not a person who will be friends with people really easily, it takes some time and I just don’t use the term “friend” lightly. “Friend” is someone you will be with forever and they’re like a sister to you and you don’t have to second guess their motives, and I felt like with the girls, I had to second-guess their motives. So no, they wasn’t my friends.

Is there anyone you got to that level with?

No.

Well, now I feel like they are really good girls. Laura and I had a fight but we see eye to eye now and got to know each other a bit better, andI understand her better now, so I think out of all of them, those would be my two favorites because they’re funny, they’re goofy, they’re most like me.

It was hard to tell how you felt about Draya all season, on the one hand, you were the most sympathetic to her but then you’d say things like “Where did she get the idea that we’re good friends?”

Yeah, because at that time, we wasn’t friends, I hadn’t even had any conversations with her at all besides when we were in scenes together, we were not friends. She’s still not my friend but she’s cool, you know? I can get along with her. I never take what people say to heart, I only take my own judgment, so like, “a reliable source” was telling me she was talking smack about me, but we were cool because she never said anything to my face.

Do you think when everything went down with Jackie around the Hawaii trip, was there any truth to what she was telling each of you?

I don’t know. Who knows what Jackie is thinking? She did a lot of damage and she tried to pin us all against each other and you can kinda see, you know, I was thinking that all the girls didn’t like me and I was treated them as such, so I rolled the entire season by myself, I was my own friend and I just did scenes with them. I don’t really know, I can’t tell you if what Jackie said was true or not because I can’t make out what’s real and what’s fake with Jackie, she makes these things up in her head and then she tries to bring them to life.

So is there no one you’d call when you’re not filming to hang out with?

I mean…All of them are cool except for Jackie. I wouldn’t say they’re my friends, my friends are my friends and I’ve been knowing them since I was a baby girl. My best friend I’ve known since I was in third grade, my other best friend is my sister and I’ve been knowing her all my life, so you just don’t meet a best friend in three days or even in two months.

Did you watch the Miami show? Did you go into this thinking about how doing this show might affect your life or how you’d be edited to be a certain type of character?

Yes, I’m a fan of Miami, they like to get dressed, I like that. Just watching their show, I didn’t understand how editing played in and how they would put stuff in certain places like it’s a puzzle, I didn’t understand that part of it until now. Now I see that I’m saying one thing and it’s put with a different subject, but I didn’t take it personal, it’s the show, it was entertainment, I like it.

No. They were Googling Draya and I said “I’m not Googling her, I don’t like to get information from third parties, I like to hear it from the horse’s mouth,” so I wanted to meet her and talk to her and know her heart before knowing her past because we all have a past and we can’t judge people on their past, you have to judge them on their future and what you see right in front of you. So no, I didn’t really care what she did in the past and I still don’t care. All I care about is how she treats me.

It broke my heart because it was none of our business and it’s embarrassing, it’s a situation I would never want to be put on me and it was plainly none of your effing business what happened. Who gives you the right to bring it up or judge or say you want to chill with me or don’t want to chill with me because of something that happened in the past?

How did your husband feel about you joining the cast?

He was all for it. My husband is very supportive of me, we’re supportive of each other and if this was something that I wanted to do, he was going to stand behind me. And it was in the summertime, so it doesn’t affect what he has going on, because I’m a big supporter of his career and I’m there for every home game. I really don’t know too much about basketball but when everybody else claps, I clap. Go Bulls!

We met in L.A. I think I was 21 years old, at one of our friends’ houses, they had a barbecue, and we’ve been together ever since.

2002. We got married four years later, had a son — wait, lemme keep it real, reverse the order. We had the baby first and then six months later we got married because I wanted to get my body back in order! And then we had the twins a few years later.

I was surprised that Jackie’s not who I thought she was. Initially in the beginning I gravitated more to her because she was older and I like the older, more mature women. She was very accomplished, she told me she has five businesses and a very successful relationship with her husband which is amazing because in a relationship you can easily get together but it’s so hard to maintain it, putting two different attitudes from two different walks of life in one household and making it work is an accomplishment. So I felt like I can learn something from her and I kinda trusted her and spoke to her at least once a week over the phone, and she told me that I was like a little sister to her. Then I found out she was pimpin’ me and she told everybody the same story she was telling me and lying to me, that was the shocker. To actually watch it play out on TV and watch it play out that she wasn’t who she said she was…

That was all her. If you look back, she said it in the scene before that with, it was out of her own mouth, “Malaysia is preachy” and then she comes back and tells me “the girls” said that, that’s what I heard all the time over the phone “‘The girls’ think that you think you’re better than us…’them guys’ think you’re bougie…’them guys’ think you’re materialistic,” I heard it all from Jackie. She said Draya didn’t like me, that Draya called me ugly and I looked like Elvira and that Draya says she’s the pretty one and I should back the f— up, these are the things I had in my head, and even when they were bashing Draya, still I was like, I didn’t hear her say it, so I’m still going to hug her because she’s crying. She’s a human being and this is none of our business.

My regret is letting the argument with Laura get to the point where it came to blows. As a lady, I think you’re never supposed to fight in public or just fight, period. I think we’re both adults and we should have used our words, but she left me no choice and I do not do disrespect and she was very disrespectful, so I had to.

That she will f— me up in a heartbeat. I just needed her to know that that’s not gonna happen.

I was talking to her, yeah.

Yeah, no one addressed it and it was like, don’t throw stones at glass houses. How are you throwing stones when you’re talking about stuff that don’t matter? It was me being defensive. It was a little childish but at the same time, I think anyone else would have done the same thing. It’s like self defense. Like I said, I ain’t a killer but don’t push me. I’m not looking for trouble but I know how to end the trouble.

A lot of the fans love you, you’re universally the one people say keeps it real and keeps the drama down, are you surprised by the fan reaction?

I’m very flattered. I’m flattered that they like ME because this is who I am. I’m straight to the point, I’m going to tell you how I feel about it if you ask my opinion, but if you don’t ask my opinion I’m going to mind my own business and that’s just how human beings are supposed to be. I’m from the hood so people can relate to me, I’m not embarrassed about it, it is what it is. The end, period.

'; $('#top-ngg-imagebrowser-nav').html(nav_data); $('#top-ngg-imagebrowser-nav').find('.ngg-imagebrowser-desc').empty().remove(); } });

Source: http://blog.vh1.com

No comments:

Post a Comment