Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sound-off responses - AFC West Blog - ESPN

It's apparent many Kansas City fans have changed their opinion of quarterback Matt Cassel.

I asked fans if they now believe in Cassel and they overwhelmingly answered “yes.” Cassel was maligned after a so-so first year in Kansas City last season and a slow start in 2010. However, Cassel has been terrific for the past two-plus months. Sunday, he reached hero status when he led the first-place Chiefs to a critical win at St. Louis 11 days after he had an appendectomy. The Chiefs lost, 31-0, at San Diego without Cassel the week before.

Many Kansas City fans think he is the right man to lead the Chiefs in the future. I agree. Cassel is a positive player for Kansas City who works well in this system.

Below are some of your responses. Thanks to everyone who participated:

Steven Skaggs from Aurora, Ill.: It took me a while to believe in Cassel, but I am firmly in his corner now. For me, the real turning point came in the Denver game when the Chiefs got blown out. Cassel got to throw nearly every play and Dwayne Bowe became his favorite target. Prior to that game I wasn't sure Cassel could do more than manage a game and I don't think Charlie Weiss was either. Weiss has worked miracles with Cassel and the O-line while Bailey has done the same with Bowe.

Dillon from Lawrence, Kan.: Well Bill, I am one who is definitely eating their words after seeing Cassel this year. Last year I was down on him but I understood that the weak offensive line had a lot to do with it. At the beginning of the year I was concerned because his passing numbers were so low but that was because we didn't need to pass. Our running game was so dominant and we got ahead in those first few games that our passing game was just the compliment to the run game. Now, Cassel has given a well balanced attack. With sure hands like Moeaki's and Chambers Cassel and playmakers like Bowe and McCluster, Cassel has plenty of options to throw to which he didn't have last year. And if no one's open he can just drop it over to Charles and let him make 10 yds out of nothin. I credit Cassel a lot for our teams success this year. 5 INTs on the year is awesome to have out of your QB. But as much credit I give to Cassel I give about 3x more to the Pioli and Haley for bringing in a great offensive mind in Weis and going out and getting guys like Lilja, Wiegman, and Jones. Not to mention the awesome rookie class that makes our team go. Cassel has been great but he hasn't done it on his own.

Dakota from Clinton, Mo.: I don't see how any Chiefs fan doesn't believe in Matt Cassel now. He's proven to be a reliable quarterback time and time again and just proved that he is one of the toughest quarterbacks in the entire league. If his teammates are behind him, then Chiefs Nation should be too.

Chris from Kansas City: Bill, there was some doubt coming into the season whether Cassel was the guy that we can trust to lead our team into the future, but he's proved it this season. Charles was just as effective last season but the offense wasn't as effective as this season. Cassel has improved and hes only getting better. His touchdown to interception ratio is 24TD/5INT. He's the real deal, and I feel that the city is fully behind him.

Steve from Independence, Mo.: I was pessimistic about cassell's abilities after last year, but after the first few games this year I said to myself maybe he won't be so bad afterall. Esp after those two losses in Indy and Hou both games in which he played very well. He doesn't make mistakes although he doesnt take big risks either. Give him a decent reciever opposite Bowe and I think he could be up there with the top QB's in the league.

Adam Wright from Lee’s Summit, Mo.: I love Cassel. His leadership is unparalleled in the league and the guy really cares. That being said I am still not convinced that he can ever be THE elite quarter back that teams covet. He does a great job in the system that Weis has created for him and he is one of the best in the league at "not screwing up", but until he shows that he can come from behind and win the big game I’m not sure he will ever be anything more. As of now he appears to be more of a Trent Dilfer than a Peyton Manning. But with the system the Chiefs are running, a Dilfer type guy is enough for me.

Nick from Olathe, Kan.: This team needed their QB to step up and Cassel did just that. The difference in the energy on the field between the SD game to the STL game was noticeable. I chalk that up to the stones that Cassel showed he has, putting it on the line 11 days after surgery.

Glenn Gioe from Toms River, N.J.: Bill I am a long time Chiefs fan in New Jersey. I have been watching Matt Cassel the last two years grow into a very good quarterback. People and fans were down on him when we first got him, but the O-line was in shambles and he was getting hit or sacked constantly. I think Charlie Weis and company have done a great job and he started off shaky this year, but as he started to believe in the O-line and teammates he has grown into at least a B level quarterback. B level would be just below elite with the likes of Manning and Brady. I think he can still grow and become better so as long as he plays this well I am a pretty happy Chief fan. It's hard to get your hands on an elite quarterback.........but I will take a top ten quarterback in a league of 32 any day.

Brian from Peoria, IL.: Hey Bill,In regards to the sound off on Matt Cassel. He's a serviceable QB but nothing more. The Chiefs aren't having to rely on him as much due to their rushing game. They are 30th in passing and 1st in rushing which says a lot.If they win the AFC West, the playoffs and next year will the real test for Cassel. They've had a pretty easy schedule this year and haven't faced many tough smash mouth defenses like the Ravens or Steelers. If he does well after next year, then I'll say he's legit.

Casey from Norman, OK.: I'll admit I was skeptical of Cassel at the beginning of the season. Part of that was the play calling, though. Weis was being so conservative that it came across as though he didn't even trust Cassel to throw the ball himself. He also put Cassel in some awkward positions, making him throw when it was most difficult and running the ball when it would've been easier to throw and get some rhythm. Since Haley was ready to build the team on his shoulders, and since I've honestly never been skeptical of Haley's plan, I just watched for improvement every week and had faith. And it has surely paid off. After having a similar surgery a few months ago, I have even more respect for Cassel. He's a beast. Chiefs will.

Derek Haas from Bloomington, Ill.: I was one of those people who did not dislike Cassel, but did not think he was the answer either. After what I have seen from him this year I believe that he is part of the solution and not part of the problem. I know a lot of people were down on him, but I always stuck up for him by saying that he was not losing us games, he just was not winning them for us. Now he is winning them for us. His confidence and his demeanor just seem leaps and bounds better than what he was showing at the beginning of the season, and he has had some impressive throws in key moments of games that have helped us win. I really was never down on him, but now I fully believe in his ability, and he is still showing constant improvement. Winning AFC offensive player of the month and playing 11 games after an emergency appendectomy shows a lot of progress and guts, and I think that it will change the way his teammates and Chiefs fans think about him for the better.

Mike from Marysville, Mo.: I've been surrounded by Cassel doubters all season and I now find myself saying I told you so to all of them! The Chiefs may not go to the playoffs, although I believe they will, but what a season to build on! They have found out about their QB and can continue to build for seasons to come. Cassel is the man for KC! Go Chiefs!

Source: http://espn.go.com

No comments:

Post a Comment