Sunday, October 30, 2011

'Kill the ref!' barb was over the line

I recently attended a Bakersfield College Renegades game and am greatly disappointed. I understand that officials are not the highlight of the game, nor the most loved, but they should still be respected.

My father was a back judge at this particular game, and my mother, myself, and my two young sons, aged 1 and 7, attended the game. When unfavorable calls were made, people started yelling the typical insults: "Boo!," "Who paid you, ref?," and "Ref, you suck!"

But when someone yelled, "Kill the ref!," I was taken aback. I wish that yelling spectator could have seen the look on my 7-year-old's face: "Someone wants to kill my Poppy?"

Shame on you for not considering your family-friendly audience. Shame on you and your lack of intelligence to understand that all calls are impossible to see on the field, and yes, some calls will be missed.

For your information, if you feel that you can do a better job, I hear the officials association is accepting applications all the time and would benefit from the wisdom you seem to possess.

Until then, keep your mouth shut, watch your language, and consider your audience before you shout your words of stupidity.

Source: http://www.bakersfield.com

No comments:

Post a Comment