Monday, April 25, 2011

Agate Alley’s Awesomeness

I usually try to limit my use of the word “awesome”, but when I think of Agate Alley Bistro, the word simply and continuously comes to mind. Agate Alley Bistro is really awesome .

I love it when I’m heading somewhere specific with a plan in mind, then suddenly and unexpectedly I end up somewhere else with a serendipitous surprise of ‘awesome’ food, wine, and service…

Last week, I had plans with a friend to meet up at our usual appetizer and brew hang out, McMenamin’s East 19 th Street Café; however, plans changed while I was trying to parallel park my big truck into a tight spot along the curb of East 19 th . A small crowd of people enjoying the bit of warmth and sunshine on the front patio of Agate Alley Bistro eyed me as I nervously maneuvered my truck back and forth . Fortunately, one of the warmth worshipers headed my way and waved me into the space with ease, kind enough to spare me the embarrassment of looking like a total goof with a serious lack of expertise when parking a big rig in a small spot. I thanked him for his help, and before I could head across the street, he asked if I had ever been to Agate Alley Bistro. I hadn’t , and he said, “You really need to try some of Agate Alley’s awesome food and drinks.” With that said, I convinced my friend we should try something new, and we headed through the gated entrance to Agate Alley Bistro.

There were more warmth goers sitting on the side patio next to the restaurant entrance, imbibing and having a good time. Once we were inside, I immediately noticed the unique lighting and funky décor. Hanging over the hostess stand was a large 70’s era stained glass lantern style light, and to the left, a huge cluster of green glass grapes lit the hallway to the two bathroom doors that were not gender specific: one door read “either” the other door read “or” . The waiting area had a 60’s carousel style pseudo fireplace that created a homey feeling, while the hanging Moroccan style lanterns and table lanterns created a dim and inviting ambiance.

We decided to make our way into the bar to have a look at the drink and lunch menus. Their appetizer, entrée, wine, beer and cocktail menu all had choices that were as unique as the lighting and décor. Some of the many appetizer choices included Grilled Artichoke, Smothered and Covered Fries, Pumpkin Enchilada’s, and Spanish Mussels. The not-so-typical salad choices included Spinach and Poached Pear, Ahi Nicoise, and an olive oil Roasted Beet Salad with tossed greens, Oregon goat cheese, candied walnuts and champagne white truffle vinaigrette .Their sandwiches looked equally delicious with choices like Le Meatloaf Gourmet, Oregon B.L.T., and The Greatest American Gyro. With such great choices, we made our way to a bistro table in the center of the room and continued to scan the menu. The appealing and diverse pizza choices baited us into a frenzy of indecision, and we knew we’d need to try at least one of them. Some of the enticing choices for a 10 inch thin crust are:

Source: http://eugenedailynews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment